What is one desire us women have in common? (besides being able to stuff our faces with chocolate cake and not gaining a pound?) We want to preserve our bright, youthful-looking skin for as long as possible. Unless you have miracle genes (lucky bishes!), this actually takes some work, dedication, and discipline. This sounds like training for a triathlon, but it’s true. Developing a good skin routine and sticking to it (regardless of how drunk you are before you go to bed) is key to having good skin and keeping those scary aging signs at bay.
My current anti-aging fantastic duo:
- Morning – Superdefense Daily Defense Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 by Clinique
- Night – Help me Retinol Night Treatment by Philosophy
Lets talk about each of them:
Superdefense Daily Defense Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 by Clinique
This is a light, silky moisturizer packed with antioxidants and UVA/UVB protection. I love this product because it is easily absorbed by the skin, it doesn’t smell like sunblock (I HATE the smell of sunblock) and it is oil-free (hoorrayyy!). I resent anything that makes my oily situation worse. There is a formula for dry skin and another for oily skin. I recommend this to anyone who needs a good daytime moisturizer with SPF and is interested in fighting the first signs of aging. It’s obvious I am a huge Clinique fan and this product is a gem. I use this under my foundation or alone (on those rare makeup-free days).
Help me Retinol Night Treatment by Philosophy
This product is solely responsible for me feeling comfortable enough to leave the house without makeup, and not just to the grocery store. Last Saturday I spent the entire day out and about (manicure at Gloss, lunch at Hillstone, blog-work at Starbucks) without a drop of makeup. My skin has better texture, tone, my pores are smaller and clear of gunk. My skin just looks so much better overall. I bumped into this product in search of a mild retinoid as my skin looked dull and congested and as I approach the big 3-0, I know I need an anti aging product at night. I knew retinoids are prescribed for a myriad of skin situations but I wasn’t ready for a super strong retinoid. Over-the-counter retinoids are significantly more gentle as the formula is milder and contains less of the active ingredient that really goes to work on your skin. This specific product has fantastic reviews and has a sweet price of $47.50 which is inexpensive compared to most retinol products that are closer to the one hundred mark (and above).
According to Philospphy’s website, you need this product if (taken from Philosophy.com):
- you have deeply clogged pores
- you want the ultimate multi-tasking product that will clear pores, even pigment, and reduce fine lines
- you want the benefits of a vitamin a product without the peeling
- you seek something more gentle than retin-a
- you want a deep cleansing facial while you sleep
Things to keep in mind while using products with retinol:
- Retinoids can make your skin sensitive and burn easily. A good daytime SPF is a must. This also means absolutely no sun to the face (who does that anyway?)
- They are to be used at night for optimal results.
- A good nighttime moisturizer is recommended as retinoids tend to make skin a little dry. I’m using Clinique’s DDML Gel (Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion, also oil-free) on top of Help me.
If you start using a retoiod, be patient with your skin. It takes several weeks to get used to the product. Use it every other night or twice a week and progressively work your way to an every night routine. Redness, sensitivity, itchiness, peeling and mild burning is normal at the beginning. If the symptoms persist then you might need a more mild formula. Always check with your doctor if you have a pre-existing condition.
I recently incorporated a new morning cleanser and toner from Elemis Spa and did away with my old ones. The results are positive so far! I will report on those once they are finished.