We are right in the middle of what seems an infernal summer here in the 305. Temperatures are creeping way past the 90’s on a regular basis these days and what was once a nice breeze is now the equivalent of a hot blow-drier pointed towards your face. IT IS HOT. VERY HOT. Even the ocean water in South Beach feels like chicken soup (GROSS!). With this said, we can all agree that hair needs to be picked up and away from your face, neck and shoulders to avoid a heat stroke and looking like a hot mess. Your outfit can be on-point and you can have flawless makeup, but if your hair is a sweaty, frizzy mess pasted onto your skin, it’s time to re-think the strategy. One of my favorite go-to up-do’s of this summer is the side, messy boho/chic braid. I love this look because it can also be worn with a pretty head-piece like here, or with a ribbon mixed in with the braid. It is fun, different and it literally takes five minutes to pull off. I’ll show you how!
*What you will need – mini rubber bands that match the color of your hair and a chopstick (or slim pointy object).
1. Pick up your entire hair in a low, side pony tail.
2. Divide the hair in three equal sections and begin a regular braid.
3. Tightly braid about a quarter of your hair and tie with a rubber band.
4. Insert the slim, pointy object, into top sections of the braid and gently pull. The more strands you pull in different sections of the braid, the messier it will look.
5. Repeat steps 2 – 4 for the remainder of hair.
Enjoy the pretty updo and feeling much cooler! (Both in temperature and new-hairdo-kinda-cooler.) Make sure to use baby scissors to cut the rubber bands at the end of the day to avoid crazy knots and snagged hair from attempting to pull the rubber bands out.
I realize this would have been a fun YouTube tutorial but I’m still getting over the fact that I cringe when I see myself on video. I promise, video tutorials will come very soon!