Hello loves! I was absent this past week because I was in a TOTAL mental funk: I have two herniated spinal discs and my lower back pain angrily flared up for reasons I’m not exactly sure yet. It took all my effort to go about my normal routine every day without falling into despair. I’ve had several relapses over the last five years (since I injured my back picking up a crazy heavy box like an asshole) and one of those times I even required a nerve block (or epidural)! This is no joke. I even went all week wearing only mascara, blush and lip-gloss! (GASP!!!)
Anyhoo, I’m all better now, ready to get back to my fitness routine and I’m back to my normal full-face-makeup-wearing self! Lets talk about football. I HATE FOOTBALL. Abhor it. Here’s why:
- It monopolizes the living room television.
- All the announcers (narrators?) sound EXACTLY the same. Combine that with 10 hours of non-stop crazy screaming crowd soundtrack (thanks to DirecTV RedZone) plus loud commercials and I need a Xanax by the end of my Sunday.
- There is ALWAYS a game on. ALWAYS. Almost every single day of the week: “Do you mind if I put the game on?” – “But baby, it’s Monday night/Thursday/Friday/Sunday football!”
- Fantasy Football. No explanations needed.
- The incessant drama that surrounds football puts novelas to shame. If there is no live game, then all you see on TV is how this player got arrested for being a Neanderthal and beating the crap out of his girlfriend/fiancée/wife/child/pet or how such and such got suspended for failing a drug test and then all the psychoanalysts of the world start sharing their theories of why these players are so screwed up. They start looking into their childhoods and pulling up pictures of “Little Johnny” with his puppy and GI Joes at age five – “Where did his parents go wrong?!?”
- All of your man’s convos on the phone with his friends are fantasy football related. Every. Single. One.
Conclusion: football season is a gaping black hole that will sooner or later, one way or another, consume your life. EVEN IF YOU DON’T WATCH IT. It’s playing in the background; it’s in every third sentence that comes out of the mouths of the men in your life. It’s on the news. THERE IS NO ESCAPE!
On the other hand, I must confess that I kinda’ love football Sundays. Yes, I sound crazy but I have my valid reasons:
- There are usually no plans made for Sundays during football season, which means I get to sleep in and hang out in my underwear all day and read, catch up on house-work, write, draw…or visit my mom, or go shopping. Not that I can’t do that on any other day, it’s just easier and guilt-free when your S.O. is glued to the TV watching something you have absolutely no interest in.
- The TV has been so annoyingly loud all day long that nap with my dog around 5 PM is a must. My brain needs a break – puts back of hand against forehead and tilts head backwards –
- Sunday at-home spa-day: this is my favorite part! Sundays at home allow me to leisurely take care of my beauty needs. Allow me to describe:
After a couple of glasses of prosecco (or five), I jump into a scalding-hot shower and let the week’s worries slowly melt away. I recently switched my hair-care products to Moroccan Oil’s Hydrating line and let me tell you, this has elevated my at-home grooming ritual to new heights. The scent is so rich, so sultry and sensual that I sometimes apply the treatment oil on my skin because I love it! My hair smells amazing even days after I wash it and it feels like silk, making it so much easier to style! So, after I shampoo my hair twice (sometimes three times depending on how gross I feel), I apply the conditioner and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I rinse it off and then apply the Intense Hydrating Mask and pick up my hair in a tight bun with a plastic shower cap over my head to help the hair follicles open up to absorb the yummy moisture and nutrients. I then proceed to dim the lights (I know, sooo romantical), fill the tub, turn on the jets and add two cap fulls of Elemis sp@home Aching Muscle Super Soak (which also doubles as a shower gel) and the musky scent of the Moroccan Oil products are deliciously joined by the fresh scent of mint, eucalyptus and herbs. I soak in this delicious bath and I imagine I’m Cleopatra in a bath full of rose petals. I exfoliate with a synthetic glove with Natura’s White Flowers body wash, I shave my legs with EOS Vanilla Bliss Shave Cream which feels like a spa-day just for your legs and moisturizes and protects your skin from the sharp razor blades while giving you the smoothest shave of your life (I’m not exaggerating). I end this ritual by rinsing off under luke-warm shower rain as I wash my face with the Clarisonic Brush and Clinique’s Liquid Facial Soap for Oily Skin which has menthol and feels invigorating and refreshing and gently wakes me from my Egyptian luxury day-dream. I step out of the shower to immediately moisturize with Aveno’s unscented moisturizer and proceed with my facial skin-care routine (read about it here). Sometimes I’ll do a clay mask or a moisturizing gel mask; depending on what my face needs that day and I proceed to blow-dry my hair without any rush, enjoying each and every shiny strand as it drops down my back towards my waist. I’m not trying to be poetic about this; like most of us, I simply don’t have the time to indulge in this kind of ritual during the week. It seems like there are not enough hours in the day on most days. On football Sundays, I just genuinely enjoy being able to be present and in the moment and I feel so immensely grateful to have the time to do it. On any normal Sunday, we would be rushing off to brunch, or the beach, or lunch with family, or something, somewhere; but for now, I’m enjoying slowing down (charging my batteries before the holiday season), having my man at an arm’s length to smooch whenever I please and not being on a tight schedule. And THIS, my friends, is why I love football Sundays (while still hating football!).
Moroccan Oil Hydrating Shampoo
Moroccan Oil Hydrating Conditioner
Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask
Elemis Sp@home Aching Muscle Super Soak
Natura Flores Blancas Body Wash
EOS Shave Cream
Aveeno Skin Relief 24 hr Moisturizing Lotion
Clinique Liquid Facial Soap for Oily Skin
Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Clarifying Mask